Running With Plantar Fasciitis

There are days when I don’t even notice the Plantar Fasciitis and days when I notice it all of the time.  When I first self-diagnosed it I trawled the internet for any clue as to quick fixes.  I have tried rolling the foot over a bottle full of ice, duct taping the arch, calf stretches on the stairs.  All sorts of things.  I haven’t tried the boot that you wear at night but I can see the value in it.  Over time, however, I have failed to keep up the stretches, icing and taping.  The result is that I am putting up with having PF rather than dealing with it.

 When I get up in the morning the heel still feels sore.  On some days, after a period of time the discomfort goes away.  I use the term discomfort as it is not what I would call painful, but I am very much aware of it.  However, there are days when I notice it all of the time.  On these days I end up doing calf stretches to alleviate the discomfort and this generally works. 

After the initial couple of weeks of pain in the early stages, one thing that I have failed to do is to allow the PF to stop me training.  I did ease off a little early on (my excuse for going slower), but now I just train as normal.  I am working on the basis that eventually the PF will heal itself and go away.

My first run this week was supposed to be a 45 minute run.  I decided to run into work, which meant getting up at 0515.  Now that I am running to a heart rate, the pace was a lot slower than when I ran into work the last time.  But I am obviously getting better at judging my effort as I don’t really recall having to walk any distance, even when going up hill.  The route that took me about 38 minutes before now took me nearly 50 minutes.  The pace was that much slower.  But it was a nice run and I really quite enjoyed it.

Second run was a 50 minute run which took me up the side of Chosen Hill and around the farm.  The going was quite boggy and the rain was relentless, albeit not particularly heavy.  I was very grateful for my Montane windproof.  It doesn’t keep you dry but I noticed that it was keeping the wind out. 

I quite enjoyed the run back from the Farm as it is slightly downhill and I was able to open my legs up a bit and increase my stride.  I was only able to do this for about 400metres before the road levelled out and the Garmin warned me that my heart rate had gone over the upper limit for my exercise.  Average HR 145bpm.  Average Pace 13.07 minute mile.

I had a 30 minute run to do this week, which would bring my total to four runs in the week.  I ran through the alleys and paths towards Upton St Leonards, but did not even make it over the motorway bridge before my half way point (time-wise) was reached.  A nice easy run and a pleasant morning.  Average HR 146bpm.  Average Pace 13.08 minute mile.

This week’s long run was 8 miles.  This is the furthest that I can remember running ever.  The Combat Fitness Test when I was in the Army was 8 miles, but that was a forced march pace rather than a run.  Mind you, you were also carrying about 40lbs of kit as well. 

I finished nights this morning and, after doing the school run and a bit of shopping, decided that I would do my 8 miler before I went to bed.  I couldn’t believe that it was still raining, despite the weather forecast saying that it would be clear. 

I ran along the road to the farm at the side of Chosen Hill and cross country into the back of Churchdown.  When I first set off I quickly reached my heart rate zone and then passed it.  It took me a mile or so to settle down into a rhythm and a pace that stopped me going over the HR zone. 

I followed the Glevum Way through Churchdown, past the skate park and around the back of the airfield.  I reached my halfway point a few hundred meters short of the main road and began the journey back.  My thighs were hurting a little at the front but other than that I felt quite comfortable. 

Every now and then I was aware that I was putting in more effort (running slightly faster and breathing slightly heavier) before the Garmin warned me and I was able to quickly bring my pace down so that I was not over the zone for too long. 

The rain was soaking me and the wind at the side of the hill was very chilly.  I was grateful again for my Montane windproof, but I was also aware that if I stopped I would get cold quite quickly. 

Having originally decided that I was going to use the Galloway method of marathoning (i.e. walk and run) I was able to run the whole way without walking.  I had managed to adjust my pace each time I received the heart rate warning and did so without recourse to walking.  So I was very pleased that I had run the entire 8 miles without stopping.

 Mapmyrun adjustments showed that I had in fact run 8.09 miles.  Average heart rate was 151bpm and the pace was 12.37 minute mile. 

I had my usual cold bath to ease my legs and went to bed.  My heel was a bit sore, but it didn’t take long to get to sleep this time I can tell you.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: